Friday, March 14, 2014

Impossible?

At any point, I could have stopped. I could have said I had enough information on Charles and simply called it quits. But I didn't. I'm stubborn/persistent/obsessed, whatever you want to call it. As long as there's something else out there for me to find, I'm going to keep searching until I find it.

And that's why I'm good at what I do.


Behold, ladies and gentleman, my 3x great grandfather Charles Henry Pinheiro


Charles Henry Pinheiro

Born February 1856 in Barbados
Lifetime resident of Halifax, Nova Scotia
Died 13 July 1944 in Montreal, Quebec

Which is to say, the obituary from Halifax Public Libraries came in today!


Charles Henry Pinheiro's obituary
The Halifax Herald, 22 July 1944. pg 18

I was expecting the obituary. But I had no idea it would have so much detail, be so well written, and include a PICTURE. Pardon my French, but I never imagined I would see a picture of Charles Pinheiro at all! As a black man, I didn't imagine that a picture would have ever been taken, or would survive, or make it to a newspaper. I was still reeling from the fact that he even had an obituary. I never entertained the possibility that he would have the best obituary I have EVER seen!

I can't take all the credit for this find. HPL's footwork is the only reason it's in my hands today. Also to Judith Fingard for the source citation that took us in the right direction. I wouldn't have made it anywhere close to this moment without her. Mad props to them all!




And of course, you know what time it is now...



Happy dance time!

Popular Posts